Thursday, March 27, 2014

12. 1 week post op - 1st day solo

So i'll admit i've been spoiled since i've been home.  Today marks the 1 week post op date and as I'm writing this its exactly 7 days since I was sitting in the hospital.  The first thing the doctor said when he walked up to me pre-op was, "How ya doin?"  My reply was, "If i said scared shitless, would you be surprised?"  He wasn't surprised.  

I mentioned before that on the way to my surgery we stopped at Aldi's supermarket and picked up a roller walker (under $60 compared to walmart's almost $90).  I wanted this because it seemed easier than crutches, it had a table I could carry things with, and a chair if I ever got tired on my 30 second journeys.  I've had help the first 6 days, but today was the first day I didn't have someone here with me during the day to help with the menial tasks.  I didn't realize how much effort it now took to make myself breakfast, or a snack, or put all my pads on for the air/water machine.  I got winded pretty often.  However, without the walker, eating without standing in front of the fridge would have almost been impossible.


By tomorrow I'll be off the script meds, and I'll take a few OTC ones just to make sure I didn't jump the gun... remember its better to keep the pain under control, then wait til its painful and try to get it to go away.  I really just noticed yesterday that my vision has been kinda blurry, and its hard to read small print.  My eyes have always been 20/15 (for those of you not interested in math, thats better than 20/20).  I did a little google'ing and it seems its either because of the pain meds still in my system or my body's reaction to pain, so basically i'm going to assume its a little of both at this point.  

But in regards to my daily activities, i get winded doing a lot of these things.  I'm trying not to use my op-leg because all movement is still supposed to be passive, and it still worries me to bend over to tie a shoe or put on a compression pad; 1, because its kinda tight, and 2, i'm not sure how much I'm supposed to utilize it.  That being said, my PT stretches are pretty involving, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much.  

I have about 8 or 9 PT exercises to do, which feels like an entire workout, and that's only after my first two PT visits.  I can't imagine how many home workouts i'll have once i'm into month 2.  I hate working out, especially at home (because there are so many distractions... well, mostly just the couch) so I'm finding this difficult to get the motivation for, but I know that in order for me to get back on the bike I have to do it, so I'm doing good so far.  

No comments:

Post a Comment