Wednesday, March 26, 2014

11. Day 6 post op - 1 week doctor visit

So it's been almost a full week since my surgery and I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm doing better than I would have expected after having hip surgery.  Per doctors orders I'll still have the crutches for 3 more weeks, and I'll have to continue wearing the brace when i go out until the 6 week mark, more of  a reminder to take it easy.

I get these waves of nausea in the mornings, when in a car, and just before bed.  I'm not sure if its the medication, but its really very annoying.  I don't mind having to throw up if i need to.  But that lingering feeling of nausea, but not enough to throw up, is worse than vomiting in my book.  I'll have to try and take a benedryl later to calm the effects.  I'm not itchy all over anymore, and I'm guessing in 3 more days I should be off the narcotics and able to start with tylenol/advil/aleve, etc... (not sure if one is better than the other for inflammation or surgeries or whatever, I'll have to do some research on that).

Other than some tightness when i do my 8 PT exercises (had 2 visits so far), I don't really have much pain at all.  A little tenderness by my incisions and deep in my joint when I do deep stretches, but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the whole situation.  I've read other people's blogs that say they are pain free but then months later pain starts coming back.  I hope that doesn't happen here.

My only concern right now is that my right foot (on operated leg) is always freezing cold, almost to the point its painful.  I've been putting a heating bag on it for the time being.  Today at my 1 week post op visit I didn't see the doctor, only his PA.  He basically just made sure I was keeping up with the brace and the crutches, which I am, and he checked the steri-strips and operation site which all appeared good.  I asked him about my foot and he squeezed my toes and said the blood flow is fine so he wouldn't worry too much about it.  It's getting pretty bad so I'll hook up the heating pad later today and use that for a while.

He did suggest (or order) that I keep the compression sock on for another week, which is getting pretty grungy, but he didn't have any replacements so I guess i'll keep the grungy one on for another week.  I also have to have my wife lift my leg to 90 degrees and slowly rotate the hip joint for 10 minutes, 3 times a day.  She has been a big help so far, but I think i'm starting to push my limit!!

After my appointment I stopped at the store with my mom and daughter and decided that it was finally my turn to take a crack at the electric shopping scooter!  My daughter rode along and we had a great time.  Well it wasn't that spectacular, but it was a new experience that I can cross off my bucket list...

I'm still pretty tired most of the day, and like laying in bed in my CPM machine watching HULU with my ice machine on.  Not sure if I even need the ice machine anymore, but I think its more of a comfort thing already, and it helps me feel relaxed.  I can stop the ice at anytime, but I'm still supposed to wear the air compression cuffs (and probably the hip compression pad) if I'm sleeping or laying around for long periods of time.... so I guess I should have it on all day :)

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got to use the scooter...I intend to do that within the next week!

    ReplyDelete