Monday, March 24, 2014

10. Day 4 post op

I find myself waking up about 3 times a night.  Not in pain,  just waking up.  I set my alarm in the early AM to take a pain pill and my wife changes the ice packs in my cold therapy machine.   Hoping the constipation ends today.  If nothing happens by 1pm I will try a laxative.

On a separate note,  my daughter loves laying in bed watching episode after episode of Caillou on Hulu.  I think we watched 7 in a row last night and we're back at it again this morning.  If I'll miss anything when this is all over it will be moments like this.

I catch myself trying to move my operated leg but usually remember in time that it should be all passive so I switch to my leg grabber/mover (that's the technical term of course).

My wife is back to work today so my mother is over to help me and the munchkin.  I say back to work, but I know she sees it as a break.  The child is an adorable genius with a heart of gold,  but she is her own special kind of tornado.

9:45am: Finally had a small bowel movement,  given the circumstances it was probably the closest thing I've had to a workout in the last week haha.   I sat on the couch for a little while and a rush of nausea came over me,  just as it did last night before going to bed.   I took a zofran then and again now and I'm going to try and nap the nausea away.  Not sure which I dislike more,  pain or the feeling of maybe having to vomit. .. That's a tough one.

Before my surgery, I spoke to co-workers about surgeries they've had, mostly shoulder surgeries, which stemmed from impingement, so I guess kind of the same thing, just in a different part of the body.  I was told about sweating profusely, especially at night, and waking up soaked.  I was not looking forward to that.  However, so far, I havn't had to experience sweating, or burning up or anything like that.  The worst so far is still the nausea. 

5:45pm:  Took my first shower since the surgery.  Holy hell was that refreshing,,,, and a ton of work!  I had help but still, I feel like I was using muscles I didn't know I had.  I could stand on my surgery leg, which my doctor directed me to do when showering and using the bathroom, but I still tried to not rely on it in case it gave out for some reason.  I took my bandages off, leaving the steri-strips (per doctors orders) and it just feels good to let everything air out.  I'll put my compression sock back on, but for now, time to let things air out.


No comments:

Post a Comment